Profile for Dr. Phophi Ramathuba, Member of the Executive Council (MEC)
Limpopo Provincial Government
After matriculating, she pursued her studies at Sefako Makgatho School of health sciences (previously known as MEDUNSA) where she obtained MBCHB. She further achieved Master’s Degree in Medical Pharmacology from the University of Pretoria, Advanced Health Management from Manchester Business School.
During her tenure as the student, she became the Branch Executive Committee member of South African Student Congress (SASCO) and later Provincial Executive Committee member Gauteng Province. She continued to become the General Secretary of Student Representative Council (SRC) and also its Deputy President.
She started working as an Intern at Mokopane and George Masebe Hospitals performing the Community Service between 2000 -2001. She then became the Medical officer at Voortrekker Hospital from 2001 to 2002, Senior Clinical Manager and later Head of the Institution from 2004 to 2011.
During her period of employment within three hospitals located in Mogalakwena Municipality, she won several awards which include Premiers service excellent award in 2015.
As the resident in Mogalakwena Municipality, she was active within the community based structures such as ward committees, Aids Council and health related committees.
Trade Union Involvement
Dr Ramathuba participated in the workers struggles for better conditions and transformation of the working place after her employment in the public service. She is amongst the founding member of South African Medical Association Trade Union (SAMATU). She also served in the board of SAMA as a Director from 2004 to 2015 and National Chair for Public Service Doctors from 2008 to 2013.
She became the President of SAMA and later the Treasure General of the Commonwealth Medical Association from 2013 to 2015. She served in the Central Executive Committee of COSATU based on her capacity as the President of SAMA which is affiliated to the federation.
As a member of the ANC, she took part in the re-launching of branches in the then Western Region (now Waterberg Region) and became part of African National Congress Branch Executive Committee of the then Ward 1 (now TJ Ledwaba Branch) in Mogalakwena Municipality. She was recruited to serve in the interim leadership core of the Young Communist League in 2003 which led to the re-launch of YCL nationally. As an all-round politician who is passionate about broader gender struggles and total women’s emancipation she is a member of the African National Congress Woman’s League and serve in the Provincial Executive Committee and Provincial Working Committee.
She served in the Regional Executive Committee of the ANC in Waterberg until elected to the Provincial Executive Committee in 2014. She was re-elected into the PEC in 2018.
She is currently serving as the Provincial Treasure of the South African Communist Party in Limpopo.
She was deployed as Member of the Executive Council for Health in Limpopo June 2015. After the May 8th decisive majority win by the African National Congress, she was redeployed to continue to serve as Member of Executive Council responsible for Health.
Medical professional, gender activist, communist, community worker and a nation builder current MPL deployed as MEC of Health
- MBCHB degree Sefako Makgatho University of Health Sciences (Former MEDUNSA)
- MPHARMED (Masters of Medical Pharmacology) University of Pretoria
- Advance Health Management (Manchester Business School)
- Leadership for Physician Course (INSEAD University)
Position held in Government
- Medical Officer (Voortrekker Hospital)
- Clinical Manager (Voortrekker Hospital)
- Chief Executive Officer (Voortrekker Hospital)
- Member of Executive Council (Limpopo Health)
Position held in Mass Democratic Movement structures
- Member of SASCO Branch Executive Committee MEDUNSA
- Member of SASCO Provincial Executive Committee Gauteng
- SRC General Secretary MEDUNSA
- SRC Deputy President MEDUNSA
- Young Communist League Provincial Executive Committee Limpopo
Worker Leader ,Communist and Socialist
- President South African Medical Association Trade Union
- Treasurer General Common Wealth Medical Association
- Member COSATU CEC
- Branch Secretary SACP Mokopane South
- Member of PEC
- Current Provincial Treasurer SACP
- Member of ANCWL BEC Ward 31 Mogalakwena
- Member of ANCWL PEC and PWC
Position in ANC
- Member of BEC Ward 31
- Branch Deputy Chairperson Ward 31 T J Ledwaba
- Member of REC Waterberg Region
- Member of PEC and PWC
- Current Member of PEC